Fire alarm saves Upper Clapton woman life after falling asleep while cooking

A lucky woman was saved by the sound of her fire alarm after she fell asleep while cooking in her microwave, yesterday afternoon (Monday, 22 October).

Fire fighters arrived to find the woman sitting outside her flat suffering  from the effects of smoke inhalation, which in her case was exasperated by her asthma.

They provided her with immediate emergency care and oxygen, while others went into the property to extinguish the blaze. A small amount of food was alight in the microwave and had caused a lot of smoke to fill the property.

Crew Manager Jason Butcher, who was at the scene, said: “When we spoke to the lady about what happened, she told us that she had put some food in the microwave and had fallen asleep on the sofa. She was only woken up when the smoke alarm went off.

“There’s not a doubt in my mind that the smoke alarm saved her life. If she had been in the flat for much longer, this could have had a tragic ending. Make sure you test your smoke alarms weekly – there is no point in having one unless it’s working. Smoke alarms really do save lives – as we have seen here.”

The woman was taken to a hospital for treatment.


You must be logged in to post a comment Login