Man found guilty of killing 83 year old Stamford Hill woman


Kuba Dlugosz was on the run from Polish law enforcement when he killed 83 yr old Eveline Kelmenson

A 33 year old man has received an indeterminant sentence at the Old Bailey for the manslaughter of an 83-year-old woman in her Stamford Hill home in November 2008. Eveline Kelmenson, known to her family and friends as Lina, had been bound, gagged and abandoned on her bedroom floor. Despite struggling to free herself she eventually died of hypothermia and lay undiscovered for five weeks.

Kuba Dlugosz, a Polish national of no fixed abode, who was on the run from Polish authorities while evading a prison sentence, was found guilty at the Old Bailey on Thursday 23 June, of the pensioner’s manslaughter and burglary at her address in Stamford Hill N16.  Yesterday, Thursday 21 July 2011, he received an indeterminant sentence, was classified as a dangerous offender and will not be legible for parole for seven years.

Eveline Kelmenson lay dead for five weeks in her flat during a bitter cold winter


Another man, Szymon Wyrostek, 26yrs, also a Polish national of no fixed abode, appeared at the Old Bailey charged with the manslaughter and robbery of Eveline Kelmenson and a burglary at her address. The Jury was unable to reach a verdict and there will be a re-trial at a later date.

The court heard that police were called to check on the safety of Ms Kelmenson on 1 January 2009. When they entered the 5 bedroom house on Lewston Place where she lived alone, they found her bound lying on the floor next to her bed in her night clothes.

Jurors were told that the property had actually been broken into by Dlugosz on 27 November 2008, but was not arrested until 28th July 2010.

Miss Kelmenson was restrained before a wedding ring, which belonged to her mother who had arrived in Britain from Russia in the late 1800s, was snatched from her finger and a gold necklace and key pendant pulled from her neck. Her property was then ransacked in a search for more jewellery and cash.

Sentencing him to an indeterminate sentence for the public protection, Judge Gerald Gordon said: “What you did caused an awful end to a decent, innocent elderly lady’s life.”

Kuba Dlugosz had been wanted on a European arrest warrant and held twice on burglary charges weeks before he killed Eveline Kelmenson.  He gave false names on both occasions and his finger prints were never checked consequently he was released on bail.

Detective Chief Inspector Stewart Hill, who led the investigation, said at the conclusion of the case: “Miss Kelmenson was a defenceless and vulnerable woman who had lived at the address in Stamford Hill her entire life. She must have been absolutely terrified the night Dlugosz entered her home and restrained her on the floor.

“As he left her property, carrying her valued possessions, he didn’t spare one single thought for her welfare. She had no means to escape, could not raise the alarm and died a slow death on a freezing floor.

“My officers worked tirelessly on this case and conducted some of the most extensive and detailed searches I have ever seen. Over 4,000 items were removed from the property to be examined by our forensic specialists.

“The determination and tenacity of all those involved in the investigation has helped to secure the conviction of a ruthless and wicked individual. I can only hope that this result today brings some solace to Eveline’s family.”

The front of Ms Kelmenson's Stamford Hill home


You must be logged in to post a comment Login