Today 229 Lower Clapton Road is an eyesore of a dilapidated empty building on the edge of Lea Bridge roundabout, and now the pet project of a group wanting to restore it to it’s original use as a cinema.
After it ceased being a cinema, it became a popular and successful night club, called ‘Dougies’ in 1983. After it was sold in 2000, the name was changed to Palace Pavilion, a club that will be forever linked with Clapton’s troubled past.
In a piece written for The Voice, Patrick Vernon, founder of the 1000 Great Black Britons website, acknowledges the buildings origins and historical past when he wrote: “we also have to recognise the cultural significance of the club to the history of black people in Hackney and in Britain as a whole. It is this intangible heritage that is part of the DNA of the building that needs to recorded, preserved and celebrated in any future plans to redevelop it. We must not focus solely on why the club closed down, but instead, acknowledge the impact of this cultural institution in Hackney.”
Read the whole article here.