Guilty Verdict In Jamie Simpson Murder In Dalston

A TEENAGER has been convicted, yesterday, of the murder of store manager Jamie Simpson at Matalan in Hackney on 22 April 2008. Three others have been convicted of his manslaughter.
Kobina Essel, 19 of East London was convicted of murder.
The three convicted of manslaughter are Anthony Maina, 20, of no fixed address, Simeon Jumah, 25 of Eighth Avenue E12 and a 17-year-old boy from E14.

Three defendants were also convicted of conspiracy to rob.
They are Duane Owusu, 20, of no fixed address, Jamal Chambers, 18 of Broomfield Street E14, Roy Williams, 31 of Regan House, Snells Park N18.

Four defendents pleaded guilty to conspiracy torob at an earlier hearing.   Simeon Jumah, 25, of Eighth Avenue E12, Kobina Essel, 19, a 17-year-old boy from E14, Anthony Maina of no fixed address.
Owusu, Williams and Jamal Chambers were found not guilty of murder.

All seven defendants will be sentenced on Monday 22 March.
Investigating officer DCI Jackie Sebire of the Homicide and Serious Crime Command, said: “Today, following a long and complex investigation, seven defendants have been convicted.
Jamie was a good man who was simply going about his job as a store manager at Matalan, Hackney when he was fatally stabbed. He lost his life because the defendants, who each played their various parts, had devised a plan to steal the store’s takings.

Roy Williams, the store’s security guard, betrayed Jamie’s trust by conspiring with others to rob the very premises and staff he was supposed to protect.

A reconnaissance visit was held the day before and Williams was able to inform the others how to get into the store, avoiding CCTV and telling them where to hide.

As Williams finished work that night, he left Jamie and his colleagues knowing the robbers were lying in wait, ready to approach Jamie.
Kobina Essel stabbed Jamie fatally in the neck and back, having made no attempt to get the cash they came for.

Jamie was a much loved eldest son, who belonged to a close and loving family- he was also a well liked and respected member of staff at Matalan, who was always happy to assist colleagues and customers”.

Police and paramedics were called at 8:00 pm on 22 March 2008 to the Matalan store at the shopping centre  but he was pronounced dead at 8:36pm.  A post-mortem examination gave the cause of death as a stab wound to the neck.

Mr Simpson who lived in Herne Hill, had worked as an assistant manager at the store for three years.  He was murdered as the result of a planned robbery involving the seven defendants, who each played their various parts.  On the day of his murder, he had been working as the late shift duty manager.  He was cashing up the day’s takings, moving between the shop floor and the store’s office when he was approached by Kobina Essel who had been hiding behind a staff staircase [The defendant knew where to hide following a reconnaissance visit held the day before with the assistance of Williams].

Essel approached Mr Simpson and stabbed him in the neck and back. He fled with his assailants empty handed, via the store’s rear car park in Dalston Lane.  The suspects jumped into a waiting Ford Fiesta and made off. The vehicle was later discovered dumped and burnt out in Dore Avenue, E12.

You must be logged in to post a comment Login